Monday, November 1, 2010

When The Cold Wind Blows.

Its starting to get cold here. I'm not the biggest fan of how Chicago doesn't seem to have much of a fall. On the other hand, I'm not entirely sure if Denver had much of a fall. Actually, I struggle to remember alot of Denver. I'm not sure if this is due to advancing age, or because its been....several years since I've been back.

I'm not entirely sure why I haven't been back. I think I have had several opportunities to do so. I'm just not that good about visiting my parents or my friends.

This leads me to the conclusion that given my reticence to move, that I'll end up living the rest of my life in Chicago. I don't really have an issue with this with a couple of caveats:

1. The winters here do suck. They suck so much, I don't know how to express it. Never in my whole life have I been afraid of walking around a corner because of whatever unGodly, sub-Arctic wind will blow into me. Colorado winters are very casual and mild compared to Chicago. When I moved here for the first time, I actually looked into military grade cold weather gear. And yes, I bought it, and thank goodness I did.

2. My child(ren) will be Chicago sports fans. With the exception of the Bulls and Blackhawks, I hate the other Chicago teams. In general I simply dislike the Chicago sports fan. However, I cannot impress my own fandom on my kids. I will take them to Cubs games and Bears games, and the like. However, for as long as they live under my roof, they will be getting items of Denver and Colorado clothing.


3. I will never go snowboarding on the regular again. It's just not feasible. I suppose I'd go when I visit my friends and family in Colorado, but to Hell with midwestern snowboarding/skiing. It is horrible out here. Mind you, this is an subjective assessment, its not like people come out and rape you as you're trying to get down slope. Its just icy, the runs are literally 30 seconds long, and the vertical drop from peak to base is only 200'.

But outside of that, I'm fine living here in Chicago. Besides, my last trip out to Denver, it was overrun with douchebags, a guy threatened to sodomize me and then he tried to stab me with a broken bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment